To the hairdresser who wrote into Postsecret,I'd like to preface this letter with a simple statement. I don't know you but you are most likely a very nice, decent person. You work hard to support your family, you abide by the law and no doubt, you've given more than a few dollars to charities over the years. You're a good person. But I think you need to take a good look at why you feel the way you do.
I know it's difficult for outsiders to truly understand the impact 9/11 had on America. It was a horrific tragedy and I won't pretend that I can fully grasp the effect it had on you, I don't know your circumstances. I can however empathise (in some small way) as Ireland has of course had many issues with terrorists, both Protestant and Catholic. Only last week, Loyalists placed a pipe bomb in a children's playground. Fortunately, the bomb was discovered before any harm was caused but it really is an absolutely despicable act of violence. Clearly these people are in dire need of psychiatric help. They're terrorists.
As an Irish Catholic, I have absolutely no issues with any good living Protestant person, as indeed most of them are. I have an issue with terrorists; Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, it doesn't matter. And it's important for you to realise that there is a huge difference between your average Muslim on the street and these extremists. I consider myself quite lucky as college provided me with a fantastic cultural education, half of my class was composed of non-EU students and many of them were Muslim. I still work daily with my Muslim friends and I honestly think that if most people were lucky enough to be exposed to such a variety of cultures, they'd have a different perspective on matters.
I think that there are a lot of people in the States who feel as you do, who suspiciously glance at any overt sign of Islam in public. But they're not the enemy. Just as with every population, every religious denomination, there will always be an unfortunate, small percentage that are extremist. Please do not think that their actions are in any way representative of the majority. If people continue to treat the Muslim community with such distrust and animosity it will only engender further violence. Extending the hand of friendship and showing solidarity against terrorism is the best and most peaceful way forward for everyone involved.
To be honest, I don't expect this post to really affect any change as who knows who'll read it. I'm really just doing this to preserve my own sanity. But if someone of a similar mindset to this lovely hairdresser does read it, I really hope you take a second to re-evaluate your stance. I swear, I promise not to judge every Alaskan hockey Mom if you'll give it a go.
On a final note, I hope that no one is offended by this post considering the recent anniversary of 9/11 as that is in no way my intention. If anything, I just want to clarify that there are so many peaceful and loving people out there of all religious backgrounds. Despite your different belief systems, you have so much in common.
Best of luck,
Piney.
On a final note, I hope that no one is offended by this post considering the recent anniversary of 9/11 as that is in no way my intention. If anything, I just want to clarify that there are so many peaceful and loving people out there of all religious backgrounds. Despite your different belief systems, you have so much in common.
Best of luck,
Piney.
1 comment:
Americans love to "other-ize" minorities and we love scapegoats. When we see someone as the other, rather than as our neighbors and peers and friends, they fit more neatly into the little compartment labeled "enemy" and "to blame." And someone must be blamed. Sad but true.
The good news is that the person who wrote the postcard felt guilty about it -- knew it was wrong and worthy of keeping a secret.
Post a Comment