Most of my posts in the past few weeks have been quite frivolous. This is partly due to my new job where I have to act responsibly and professionally for a good 55 hours a week. The blog has been my release in that sense, my outlet for immaturity as I embark on the first real adult (*cringes slightly*) stage of my life. There are however a few serious issues that resonate personally with me and I'll be discussing them over the next few weeks.
Universal access to health care would be somewhere near top of my list. In fact, I find it incredibly annoying how vehemently the Republicans fought Obama's health care bill. I honestly can't for the life of me, in any way on heaven or Earth understand how ANYONE could oppose a bill that provides better health care to the less financially stable. It doesn't make sense. But I digress slightly as there is a far greater discrepancy when you compare first and third world countries. On my trip to Zambia last summer I found it shocking to discover that the healthy life expectancy of the population was 35 years of age. As we walked around Livingstone and Lusaka enjoying the sights, this quickly became apparent. If you were old, you were white. Where is the humanity in such a divide?
That is why I find this video so inspiring. It's different from other HIV/AIDS commercials and it will literally only take a minute of your time to watch. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
No comments:
Post a Comment